Dreams are a vital aspect of our life, yet they are often misunderstood. Dreams are a direct connection to God; a unique way that God communicates with us and provides assistance.
If you have ever tried to interpret your dreams, you have some idea how complex and difficult it can be. Our dreams are literally another language. It is similar to someone who speaks English trying to understand French, Arabic or German. If you do not know the language, you will not understand the symbols or messages contained in your dreams.
Even though dream interpretation can be complicated, understanding your dreams is very important. Everything that occurs in your life has already occurred in your dreams. You are not aware of that because you either do not remember your dreams or do not understand them. Dreams give you great insight into your life and can significantly contribute to your healing and well being.
There are many factors to consider when interpreting your dreams. About 90% of people have symbolic dreams while only 10% have dreams that are more self-explanatory, but still may require some interpretation. The vast majority of us will have to learn this new language in order to comprehend our dreams.
There are three types of dreams. These include:
- Holy- This is the most important type of dream. Holy dreams are a message or warning from God. They usually occur in the early morning before dawn. They do not occur during deep sleep and are never terrifying. If your dreams scare you, it is not a Holy dream.
- Evil- These dreams are from Satan or other evil spirits. These dreams can be terrifying like a nightmare. Although they may make a strong impact, generally these dreams are not as significant as a Holy Dream.
- Brain Picturing- These dreams occur as a result of thinking or focusing on something before you go to sleep. Day dreams also fall into this category.
In addition to the type of dream, it is essential to pay attention to specific aspects of your dreams such as:
- Time of day
- People/Animals/Objects and
- What you are doing/what is occurring in your dream.
It is a wonderful practice to write down or audio tape your dreams when you awake, although every dream is not important. Usually significant dreams feel differently, you may get a special sense and sometimes they are more vivid and memorable.
There are several things you can do to help you remember your dreams:
- The most important step is to pray every night before you go to sleep for protection so that you do not have nightmares. Then pray to remember your dreams when you awake. Remember that dreaming is a spiritual experience; God is in charge of your dreams. If you have a specific problem or concern, you can ask that your dreams offer guidance for that particular area of your life.
- Get an adequate amount of sleep. If you are sleep deprived or sleep too deeply it is nearly impossible to remember your dreams.
- Place crystals such as amethyst, quartz, calcite or selenite by your bedside or underneath your pillow for easier dream recall.
- Lastly, keep a journal or audio recorder by your bed to record your dreams as soon as you awake.
Although there are several books and websites that discuss dream symbols and interpretation, it is best to consult a qualified dream interpreter. A good dream interpreter can greatly assist you in understanding the language of dreams so you may eventually be better able to interpret your own dreams.